Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It feels good...

...when you decide to do something and actually go through with it. There is a sense of satisfaction, of accomplishment, that is unparalleled to anything. For a long time now, almost more than a year, I have been feeling guilty of the fact that my physical activity has gone down by a lot. A year ago, I used to play sports, ride the bike, and always take the stairs. A year before that, I used to be a regular player of soccer, badminton and used to visit the school's swimming pool often.
I left all of that once I left high school, though. At AU, the most physical activity that I do is walk from class to class. I take the elevator instead of the stairs and the longest run that I ever went on was from Tenley to Main Campus or from Main Campus to the Berks, and that too only once or twice.

I knew I was woefully out of shape and it was eating me up. That's why I decided to start running again. Now, if anyone knows me well, they'd understand that it's a long way for me to decide to do something like this and actually do it. I, like everybody else, have had a long list of "resolutions" that I have failed to adhere to. Still, I was determined to at least try. 
 
This decision was three days ago.

I kept putting it off. Kept trying to placate myself by saying that I will do it in the evening, or tomorrow. And with each passing day, it became obvious that I was just procrastinating (an activity that I am great at, btw). So, this evening, I resolved to go for it and before I could let anything else distract me, I donned my sneakers and set out with my new iPod shuffle. 

To say that I was out of shape is an understatement. I was winded after half a kilometer and was struggling to go on after one. But, I was determined to complete the circuit, which was a little short of a mile. 
 
And I did.

Which brings me back to my point of the sense of accomplishment. It feels great. It also feels awful because now every muscle in my body is crying afoul. I hate lactic acid! Ugh! Despite that, the "good" feeling outweighs the "awful". Now, I just need a little more encouragement to continue this regimen.
 
If only I could have someone run for me....hmmmmm....


Lol...
Ciao
~Bikram

No comments:

Post a Comment