Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Some Surveys Can be Ridiculous

It is a known fact that I use my cell phone a lot. As a matter of fact, I am using my phone at the moment to write this. I have been using cell phones since 8th grade and internet since 6th. Both used to be a novelty at their respective times. Now, though, they are a part and parcel of my (our) daily lives. Infact, I feel empty when I don't have access to these two basic amenities. Yes, they have become a necessity, so much so, that Netherlands has made internet access a fundamental right! I still can't believe that!

Anyway, back to the topic that brought me back to the blogosphere. I frequently use internet on my phone. While in India, it is usually the slower 2G GPRS version, but in the US, it is the faster 3G version. As a browser, I use Opera Mini, probably the best for Symbian phones. Also, probably the only third-party browser. Lol So Opera had this lifestyle survey they wanted me to take. And no, not THAT kind of lifestyle...lol...my internet/technology usage lifestyle.

So, as I was answering the questions (I am in the middle of summer vacations, and bored, so yeah, I took the survey), I was surprised to see questions like - 

"Have you ever read a newspaper in print?"
"Have you ever looked for a book in the library?"
"Have you ever sent a handwritten letter in mail?" and
"Have you ever used a public phone?"

I don't know about y'all, but seriously, what kind of questions are these? We're not living in those ultra-hi tech sci-fic movies where seeing a book in papyrus is a huge effin' deal. I am sure most of you would have done most, if not all, of these things they asked above. You know, I felt seriously OLD while answering those questions because I can understand kids born in the here and now answering those questions in the negative, not those of us born in the 90s, or even early 2000s. Hell, in most countries of this blue world, people will
still answer yes to those quedtions.

I just wonder what we're coming to. It makes me think that are all those 'futuristic' movies like Babylon AD, Terminator, etc really futuristic?

I think this is enough cynicism and deep thinking for 2 in the morning, right?

Ciao
~Bikram
--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment