Sunday, May 31, 2009

News galore...

These past few days has seen a flurry of activities not only in the country, but all over the world. Even at my home, things have picked up, what with the day of the Visa interview coming near and all that. All this has really effected my writing schedule. All my current projects have been put on hold because I can't spare the time to continue them, even though I want to. Well, such is life... So, let's begin with what has been going on since I last wrote. Supporting Link 1 Okay, if memory serves me right, California had been the first state in US to grant the same rights to same-sex couples as any other heterosexual couple, essentially granting them the right to marry. It was heralded as a great victory for Gay Rights and I, myself, welcomed the news. It seems that the joy was short-lived, though. With more states legalising gay-marriage, California took a step back when its Supreme Court upheld the ban with respect to Propostition 8. It saddens me to see that the world has still not evolved from judging their fellow humans. It is heartening to know that earlier it were the women who were oppressed, then the Blacks, and now sexual minorities. Evidently, humans have a tendency to be oppressive and when one group breaks free from their hold, they find another group to oppress. So many countries, as well as religions, profess the ideology of 'live and let live', and yet, we see reports of policemen crushing a peaceful pride march. (Moscow) We hear of police blackmailing, extorting and even abusing sexual minorities. (Allahabad, Mumbai and various other cities) Is it so hard for people to live together in harmony? Have we become so full of hatred that we must look towards our own brethren with contempt so high that it turns to killing? That brings me to the next piece of news. Supporting Link 2 News reports of Indian students being attacked in Australia have swarmed the television in the past few days. It is horrifying to see such images, tales and reports being broadcast, seeing as I am a potential international student (albeit, to the US) myself. I have still not understood why these students were attacked, but am surely appalled at the callous way the investigations are taking place. Surely, the Indian and the Australian government need to take this seriously? Talking about the Indian Government, it comes as a pleasant surprise to see that the Congress is supporting Meira Kumar for the role as Speaker of the Lok Sabha. If elected, she will be the first woman speaker of this country. Supporting Link 3 But, I am concerned. If a person like Somnath Chatterjee had a hard time controlling our rowdy politicians, I wonder how Ms Kumar will fair. So, it is good to see this news piece.... Link This is the kind of promise that is going to go a long way in ensuring that the BJP and its allies remain a strong presence in the Lok Sabha. Well, at least they promised, and we all know about politician's promises, don't we? I hope this one breaks the norm, though. Talk about breaking the norm, Nadal was knocked out of the French Open today. Robin Soderling, seeded 23 in the tourney, defeated the world number 1 in a gruelling 3 and a half hour match to win the fourth round 6-2 6-7 6-4 7-6. Seems like pink is not Nadal's colour. It sure seems like it is mine and my sister's, though. Last night was totally smashing! On the last Saturday of every month, the Defence Services Officers Institute (DSOI) organises a special function - Tambola and Dance Competition. Mum, my sister and I had a last minute plan-change and we decided to attend the party, and Di and I both wore wearing pink. Boy, was it fun. Di and I won prizes in Tambola, but it was the Dance Competition that took the cake. In the 18-30 age category, she and I won the first prize!! O.o Imagine!! I don't even know how to dance properly; I can carry myself on the dance floor at best, and here I am winning the first prize along with my sister!! Stupefying. lol It was fun, though, and I really enjoyed it. It was also the first time that I danced non-stop for 30 minutes. A real work-out. ;) The last news for today...Seems like our 68 year-old favourite comic book character has decided to tie the knot. Archie Andrews has finally proposed to long time beau, Veronica 'Ronnie' Lodge; to the much heartbreak of Elizabeth 'Betty' Cooper. The proposition is made in the presence of Forsythe Pendleton "Jughead" Jones III and the rejected girl, and the former has a look of horror on his face while the latter wipes a tear with a tissue. Ronnie has replied with a resounding 'Yes' to seal the fate of the longest running love-triangle, leaving its fans disappointed. Being a romantic myself, I feel the same. Even though Archie will be marrying broke, it should have been Betty instead of Ronnie. With this, though, it is a typical Bollywood 'rich girl-poor boy' end to the Riverdale love-triangle. And that is all for today....Ciao...

1 comment:

  1. That's an accurate summary of all the world's events combined in some mystical way.. well done yaar..

    ReplyDelete