Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And here we go again!

Wow!

Where do I even begin? So much has happened since I last wrote that if I even began to describe all of it, the entry will run into a full story. What I can do is provide a short summary. I think that should satisfy (hopefully) all those who have been eagerly waiting for updates from me.

Let me begin with where I left off. I left off in New York. After visiting my aunt there, Dad and I visited my uncle in New Jersey. I got a call from the people that I had applied for a job and they scheduled an interview, which was a success. Housing and Dining (the employer at the University) was kind enough to tell me that the training will be starting on the 6th of August and that I would need to be there. Well, as my original plans included me being in DC that early, it wasn’t a big deal. They were also kind enough to tell me that I can move in early if I wanted to – the deal clincher.

We came to DC on the 5th and stayed with my uncle’s friend in Virginia. (I have a lot of uncles in US, but for the benefit of those who are lost; this uncle is my Dad’s younger brother.) The family was incredibly nice and accommodating, considering that we had never met them before. I shifted to the Univ the next day and went through training for my job as a Desk Receptionist at one of the resident halls on campus.

And with that I settled in for, what proved to be, an incredible journey that is still going on. There are so many things that I want to say here, so let me jump right into it. Life in the US is not easy. It is certainly not a bed of roses, but it is surely worthwhile. As I was telling one of my professors, in India, one can take some time off to take a deep breath and relax. Here, if you do that, you’d find yourself left behind. I knew that intellectually before coming here, but actually having it happen to me was...scary.

People – they are another aspect that is so intriguing here. (Well, duh!) They are so accommodating, understanding, and accepting. Maybe that is an AU thing, but I have yet to come across a person who would not return my “Hi” with an equal enthusiasm as mine. Also, there will always be someone waving to you as you walk down, always a familiar face that’ll be smiling at you. In short, it is such a close-knit campus that it can be quite overwhelming sometimes.

My floor-mates – they are some of the best, some of the goofiest, and some of the most diverse people I can ever hope to come across. From being extremely quiet to being extremely loud – you’ll find ‘em all on this floor. And I LOVE THEM TO DEATH. They have made a special place in my heart in such short a time that I find it really amazing that I just knew them for more than two months.

The professors are also awesome here. They are nothing like the teachers back home (well, some are). The curriculum is also very demanding. God, and everyone, knows that I love to read, but even I can’t keep pace with the amount of reading that we have to do for each class. It is a nightmare trying to get everything finished up and ready before the next class is upon us.

The food SUCKS! Like every hostel, the food really sucks. I have no other adjective for it. It is tasteless, bland, and variety-less. Er, maybe I did have adjectives. LOL... There aren’t many dining options available on campus that are included in the fees, so I end up paying for everything that I eat, almost every day.

I think that should suffice for now. The gist is that I am having the time of my life here. The place is awesome, the environment is even better, and the people are the best. If only I can keep up with my writing and this blog, life will be bliss.

Ciao

Bikram

No comments:

Post a Comment